Final Project

For the final, I want to print out a vinyl with dancing figure spinning while the record is being played.819587967.jpg

There will be three gears, the middle one will stick to the pivot and does not move. The other two will connect to two ball bearing on the record, so when the record is spinning, they will also spin.

2.png1.png

Here’s the process of making gears and the dancing figure. I still need to finish her both arms and one more leg.

3.png

4.png

This is the record generated using both python and processing. Due to the resolution of the 3D printer, the fidelity of the music will be relatively low. This record will be played at 33 rpm with the sample rate of 12kHz. The sound quality might be far from ideal, but we should still be able to clearly identify the song.

Right now I have used “The Bilinda Butcher – Careless Teens” to generate this record model. I picked this song because it’s a dream-pop song, which means it will be Lo-fi even before transform into a vinyl, so the difference between the sound quality can be reduced. However, this song is about 6 minutes long and the model generated was too big to comfortably work with. I have to pick another song or just cut some portion of the song to make the file smaller.

HW#4

I improved two parts of this charger holder.

First, I added a curve on that right angle to increase the strength of the structure. I used “FilletCorner” and “Loft” to created the curved surface.

Secondly, I refined the shape of the hanger for the charging cable.

front.jpg

This time I printed out the object in its original scale and it hangs perfectly on the wall.Photo on 10-2-16 at 7.10 PM #3.jpg

HW#3

For this project, I want to create a holder for phones while charging. Here’s the sketch of my idea. The charger will go through the holes and stick into the wall plug. The X-shape object acts as a cable winder to hold your charging cable. The dimension of this object was designed to hold iphone6 plus, which was the biggest phone on the market.472623017.jpg

After the sketch, I started to draw it in Rhino.

3d 1.jpgfront.jpg

After finished with all the files I needed to print the object, I found out it will take 6 hours to print it in its original scale. Therefore I scaled it down 50% and print it out.

1790656279.jpg

HW#2

For this project, I want to create a little suitcase with the joint mechanism.  The joint is created by a ball locking into a dip. I first create the two halves of the suitcase then add four cylindrical objects onto it. Then I drew out four balls and use the command “BooleanDifference” to create the dip and “BooleanUnion” to join all pieces together.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

HW #1

For this assignment, I want to model a 3D pixel cow. So I started from a 5X5X5 cube and slowly built out the entire cow.  It gets extremely complicated to use the “move” command during the process since there are so many objects to snap onto. So solve the problem, I sometimes have to draw reference line on the object for them to snap onto. Since the entire cow is constructed by cubes, I used “BooleanUnion” command at the end to join everything together.

Here are the results.Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 4.42.10 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-10-01 at 4.42.23 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-10-01 at 4.42.17 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-10-01 at 4.41.51 PM.jpg